Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Resolution List

Recall that in an earlier post I mentioned making a new years resolution to become more aware of where my food came from.  That was in January 2011.  It was an excellent idea, but I didn't follow up on it until about March.  During Spring break that month (I work in elementary education) I visited a friend in Boudler, CO.  While perusing through a used book store during some downtime I discovered the inspiration I needed to get moving on my resolution in the form of some reference material: The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter by Peter Singer and Ball's Big Blue Book of Canning.  After making a nominal purchase, I went back to my friends apartment and pulled out a piece of paper and pencil.  This is what materialized:

Goal for 2011: Become more aware of where my food comes from.

January- flour
February- bananas
March- dairy products

April- chocolate
May- sugar
June- strawberries (can jam!)
July- chicken
August- tomatoes (can sauce!)
September- beef
October- apples
November- pork
December

As you can see, there were definitely some holes with regards to variety and nutrition.  But basically, I thought about some of the most commonly used food items in my household and decided to investigate!

No comments:

Post a Comment