Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A 'brief' history: part 2- A New Year's Resolution

In 2011 I decided to make a different kind of New Year's resolution.  I resolved to find out more about where my food came from.  I don't recall exactly what inspired this search but I remember a couple of factors that played an important part.  1- A few months before the start of 2011 I moved into a rental house with a big backyard which meant I could have a real garden, like the ones my mom tended when I was a child, for the first time on my own (instead of just a couple of pots an apartment patio).  2-  The farmer's market in my community had really taken off the summer before and I enjoyed regular visits to it.  3- My household loved making fruit smoothies and it seemed ridiculous to buy frozen fruit in the grocery store when there were so many choices in my own backyard.  The desire to preserve fruit purchased at the farmer's market (strawberries and raspberries),  picked wild (blackberries) and picked at a local farm (blueberries) resulted in the purchase of a large chest freezer.  4-  I lived (and still do) in an agricultural community in the northwest.  It would have been ignorant of me not to know where my food came from. 

Recall that I never said I was going to switch to eating local food or that my passion would become eating as seasonally as possible.  Inevitably though that's where the discovery of where my food came from led me.  It was very intriguing journey indeed.  I'll post the specifics about my resolution along with some tips for uncovering the mystique behind your food's origin in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment