Thursday, May 23, 2013

Outstanding Omeletes

Asparagus and spinach with pepper jack cheese.
Omelets are outstanding! Often times folks steer clear of them at home thinking it is difficult to get a beautifully cooked omelet without breaking or burning it.  I'm hear to tell you that it is not only doable, but its actually quite simple with a bit of knowledge.  And if something goes wrong, my belief is that you can just say you were making a scramble and mix it all up!

Now is a great time to be making omelets because of the surplus of backyard eggs my ladies are laying and because there are so many yummy spring veggies to fill them with: lettuce greens, spinach, asparagus, leeks, spring onions and garlic, spicy mustard greens.  The possibilities are endless really.  Then when you consider the different cheeses you can add....oh the ooey gooey goodness!  There are two key components to making a good omelet: 1) temperature and 2) pan size/ or number of eggs.  The temperature of the pan must be just right.  Hot so that when you pour the eggs in they begin cooking immediately, but not so hot that they are going to burn (I'll be honest and admit that the omelet pictured above left is slightly overcooked for my taste because I let the pan get too hot).  A good way to judge the temperature is from the reaction of the oil you add just before the eggs.  It should NOT sizzle.  IF it does it is too hot, but the pan should feel hot when you place your hand about an inch above it.  With regards to number of eggs or pan size, you need to use a pan that is large enough to have 1 thin layer of egg so that the mixture will cook evenly.  Traditionally in a restaurant, an omelet will have three eggs.  I find that not only does this make for too heavy of a breakfast for me, but my pan is too small for it. So I prefer to use two eggs with my pan (which I think is 8" in diameter).  Now for the how to:

Chop, saute and prep by any means necessary the stuff you will add to the omelet. Then drizzle about a tablespoon of oil (I use light olive oil which works great when you want to be slightly healthier but not add the pungent flavor of olive oil) and swirl around the pan.  Then pour in your eggs that have been whipped with a splash of water (not milk!).  For those of you who are wondering why, milk is used for scrambled eggs to make them extra creamy.  Water is used in an omelet to get a nice whipped consistency but then essentially evaporates as the egg cooks in the hot pan leaving a light airy omelet.  Immediately swirl the eggs around the pan to coat the entire bottom.  Remember they should have started cooking immediately if your temp was correct so the center won't move but the outer edges will expand as the top layer of eggs spreads out.  Once you've given the bottom a minute or two to cook add the fixings you prepared previously including any cheese.  If you are using the correct number of eggs for your pan size (or correct pan for the number of eggs you prefer) there will be no need for flipping! The omelet should cook through without burning the underside. Lastly, if you oiled the pan well the omelet will slip right out with the help of a spatula*.  Slide out half onto a plate and then tip the pan as you slip the rest out folding over the top for a half circle omelet.  That's it!  Add a sprinkle of extra cheese and a garnish if you wish then enjoy!

*I use a fish spatula.  If you don't own one of these I highly recommend you get one.  I know some people are kitchen gadget people (me!) and some people aren't, but seriously this is one of those tools that should be one of your top ten.  I honestly use it everyday!....In fact, I think I'll post about my love of the fish spatula another day...



No comments:

Post a Comment