Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A New Read & Q's to Consider

I am just starting a new book called How to Pick a PeachAlthough I'm only on page 15, I can tell I am going to like this book very much.  Sadly I've been too tired to read before bed at night, but I enjoyed those first 15 pages in true spring fashion: in the sunshine with grass beneath my back and my wanna be farm dog resting beside me.  If you're wondering how I could possible know if a book is right for me after a measly twenty minutes of reading (followed by an additional twenty of napping) just listen to this:
  • "At its heart, cooking is a primitive act and remarkably simple.  You choose what seems tastiest, and then you try to make it better."
  • "The first thing you have to understand is that whole idea of eating locally and seasonally is not based merely on some philosophical framework.  It may indeed be good for the planet, but that is for greater minds to decide - I [the author] am mainly interested in fixing a good dinner."
It got me thinking.  Why am I so interested in eating seasonally and mostly locally?  I mentioned that this all began as a resolution to be more aware of where my food came from; this urge burgeoned from deep seated roots in growing food and a desire to make use of what was around me. Not to mention I love good food.  But still, why seasonal?  Why mostly local?  You tell me.  Why do you eat seasonal and local?  Or, why are you so interested in learning about eating seasonal and local????

No comments:

Post a Comment